Over the past 70 years, the MBTI® instrument has helped millions of individuals throughout the world gain insights about themselves and how they interact with others – enabling personal transformation by improving how they communicate, learn, and work. It provides a powerful framework toward building better relationships, driving positive change, harnessing innovation, and achieving excellence.
In developing the MBTI® instrument, Carl Jung’s theory of psychological type is made both easily understandable and practical to people’s everyday lives. The essence of the theory is that much seemingly random variation in behaviour is actually quite orderly and consistent, owing to basic differences in the ways individuals are oriented toward the external world, take in information and draw conclusions about what they perceive.
Take a moment to view the short video to learn about the MBTI® instrument.
Explore the Model
Below you can explore the 4 preference pairs that make up the MBTI® instrument
The MBTI® instrument is ideal for a wide range of applications, including:
- Team development—helps ease communication among team members, identify team strengths and weaknesses, and create action plans for improved performance
- Leadership development—deepens leaders’ understanding of their personality type and the types of those they are leading to help them manage better, give more meaningful feedback, and improve individual and team performance
- Conflict management—improves skills in identifying sources of conflict and intervening early to prevent underperformance, disruption, and disengagement
- Stress management—builds resilience, increases productivity, and offers strategies for identifying and managing stress triggers
- Career transition and planning—helps guide individuals on career choice, development, and management
The MBTI® instrument reaches across the globe in more than 20 languages to help:
- Improve individual and team effectiveness and performance
- Nurture and retain top talent
- Develop leadership at every level of an organisation
- Reduce workplace conflict
- Explore the world of work
- Create an atmosphere of understanding and clear communication
MBTI® Brand Portfolio
As a practitioner, you can choose which version of the instrument will best suit the specific development goals for a given opportunity
MBTI Step I™ (Form M) Key Highlights:
- 93 items, available in print and online formats, takes approximately 20 minutes to complete
- Powerful application and problem solving over a broad range of issues, from stress management to communication to innovation
- Identifies individuals’ 4-letter Myers-Briggs® personality type code (e.g. ESTJ)
- Provides a common language for describing how individuals interact with each other and the world around them
- Generates a variety of in-depth reports to support applications, including communication, stress management, decision-making, team dynamics and more
MBTI Step II™ (Form Q) Key Highlights:
- 144 items (including the 93 Step I items), available in print and online formats, takes approximately 35 minutes to complete
- Drills down to a finer level of detail to explore how individuals of the same personality type may express their personality differently
- Provides individuals’ 4-letter Myers-Briggs® personality type code plus results on 20 facets of that type
- Provides in-depth development actions across a range of important individual issues
- Generates two reports: Profile and Interpretive Report
Other Available Translations
Please note that translations are available for selected MBTI® products and assessments in the following languages:
Chinese – Simplified, Chinese – Traditional, Bahasa Indonesian, Bahasa Melayu, Japanese, Korean, German, French
Frequently Asked Question
Can’t find the information you need below? Download our MBTI® instrument FAQ
The MBTI® instrument demonstrates some of the highest levels of consistency and reliability of any personality assessment product. Many years of rigorous testing and use of the most up-to-date psychometric tools, such as item response theory (IRT) for both scoring and item selection, ensures that all MBTI® forms are of the highest quality and value.
The MBTI® Manual contains more than 400 pages of technical and statistical data on the construction and reliability of the MBTI® instrument.
We are also pleased to be able to bring to you these newly released Technical Briefs for MBTI® Form M and Form Q Assessments with Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Mongolia samples. The Technical Briefs summarise the measurement properties of both the MBTI® Form M and Form Q, examining the reliability; reporting on type distribution, and providing comparisons with the US National Representative Sample (NRS)
The Myers-Briggs Company is the official distributor of the MBTI tool and associated products. This means that when you buy from The Myers-Briggs Company, you know you are getting the genuine article – the version created by Isabel Myers and Katharine Briggs, and backed up by 70 years of rigorous research. The MBTI framework comes with a quality guarantee that ensures the results are as accurate as possible, and that qualified practitioners are expert in applying the tool in an ethical way that acknowledges the role of each individual in determining their own type.
No. The MBTI® instrument is what we call ‘Restricted’, and you need to be trained and certified to access and use it. This ensures that the instrument is used for the purpose for which it was designed and that it is being administered and interpreted correctly.
We offer a Certification Program that will qualify you in the professional and ethical administration of the MBTI® instrument, and upon successful completion of the program you will become certified to purchase and use both the instrument and its reports.